Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sex Education - Yay or Nay?


Sex Education is a touchy subject when it comes to the McCain Administration. Like many Republicans, McCain is all about "abstinence only"and if he is elected we won't be getting anymore Sex Ed and see more "abstinence only until marriage" programs. Taking away Sex Ed is most definitely not going to make teenagers abstinent, it will probably do the opposite. Personally, I think that Sex Ed is a good way to get young adults to learn. In one day: 1,377 teenage girls get pregnant; (80 of those girls are raped) 1,106 teenage girls get abortions; and 4,219 teenagers get STD's. If Sex Ed is taken away I'm pretty sure that all those numbers will increase (as if they aren't high enough already.) McCain's VP, Sarah Palin is also a Republican and is also all about abstinence. The ironic thing is that Sarah Palin's 17 year old daughter, Bristol Palin is 5 months pregnant. The Palin family wrote a statement saying "Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned." I'm pretty sure that she didn't "plan" on getting pregnant, especially since the baby's father, Levi Johnston's Myspace page claims "I don't want kids."

2 comments:

LisbethReyna said...

Great facts..I never thought that the # of girls pregnant in one day were so high..and i believe its true that sex ed is a good thing because in that way girls and even boys would learn more about the topic. I like the fact that u introduced Palin's daughter into the story. it really ,matches!

Anonymous said...

This has always been a very touchy subject because a class consists of children with both conservative and liberal parents. It will therefore be incredibly difficult to reach a compromise. Maybe we should leave it to the parents to decide what's best for their child.